Monday, March 2, 2009

Who do you resemble?

"...called according to his purpose...to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." Romans 8:28b-29

I am sure this has happened in your family, but there are times when friends see a picture of my family, they will say, "you look like your dad". Others might say, "well, you're the image of your mother".

I always get a laugh out of that... but even funnier, sometimes I get told by my husband that I act like my mother. I observe my sister, and she reminds me a lot of our mother. There is always a family resemblance one way or another.

Consider Jesus for a moment now. When Jesus was born, he took on the form of a man. He looked like ordinary man, so to speak. And we get to see God in the flesh, acting the way we ought to act.

So when God tells me in His word that He has a purpose for me - to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, there should be a family resemblance. To look like Jesus, I have to act like He would. That comes from hanging around Him, studying His character in the Word and imitating Him.

And when I look like Jesus, others will see Jesus in me. Isn't that our real purpose? To act in such a way, that others see Jesus in us? Let's look like our "Daddy--Abba, Father"!

No comments:

Post a Comment